Last weekend we brought Adeline to a gymnastics class in The Netherlands to try out. It was kind of funny at first because there were SO many kids there and they were all running around doing warm-ups. Of course they were being instructed in dutch, so Adeline had no idea what they were being told. Instead of just watching what the other kids were doing and following along, she was dancing around on the mats. I felt a little embarrassed for her! Finally a nice young dutch instructor pulled Adeline under her wing and helped her out! After warm ups they split all the kids into different groups. Adeline had 3 other girls in her group and they all ended up being American as well and the instructor spoke English to them (thank goodness!). I was so impressed with the instruction and how much actual "gymnastics" they did with the kids. We are definitely signing her up and she loved it! Too bad it is the Holidays and her next class isn't till January 14th!
After her class we went into downtown Sittard, NL to do a little Christmas shopping and went out to lunch at Bagels & Beans. It's known that this place is usually packed with Americans. They had some festivities set up in the town square with ice skating, a little tubing hill, Christmas music, some little rides and of course lots of junk food. The girls begged to go on one of the rides, so of course we caved in!
That night we had our ward Christmas party. The food was SO good. The dutch people in our ward know how to cook! The girls had fun running around with the other kids and dancing while everyone participated in some "sing a long" songs. At the end Santa even paid a visit and gave them more candy. I have been so impressed how brave Norah has been. Maybe a little bit apprehensive, but we have not had to pressure her or anything to sit on Santa's lap. She just knows that he is going to give her a treat!
Other than everything that happened last Saturday, we haven't done anything. Abe worked his first 24 hour shift on Monday and he is now working another one. His schedule will end up being a good thing because he will be able to be home a lot and we can hopefully make some little trips here and there in between shifts. I just need to get more comfortable being in a new place by myself at night. It doesn't help that our house seems big and I feel like I hear noises all night long! We are getting very close to having the entire house unpacked. We just need to buy a couple other pieces of furniture, hang the rest of the stuff on our walls and get the guest room put together. Once I feel like our house is "together", I will post some pictures. I also need to get out of the house and post some pictures of the neighborhood and little town. I really like our area.
Adeline has been able to go to her new preschool (German Kindergarten) one time this week and one time last week for a short time. She doesn't officially start until the beginning of January. She really did not want to go both times and had some anxiety since they don't speak "Boston" there (sometimes she refers to it as English, sometimes Boston :) She was really happy when we picked her up yesterday though and had a good time. It helps that her teacher speaks a tiny bit of English to help her feel comfortable.
I also had another doctors appointment this week. The baby's abdomen is still a little small, but not as small and appears to be growing. So the doctor is not worried at all right now. I feel HUGE and bribe Adeline and Norah to pick things up for me because it is to the point where it is just uncomfortable. I swear this baby is an acrobat and my stomach never looks normal anymore due to it's crazy movements and positions. It will be interesting to see if this baby is going to follow int he girls footsteps and also be late. If it is early and my mom isn't here yet, there are at least a couple of families in the ward willing to help. If it ends up being a girl like I think... It is set. If it is a boy, I am going to have to order a bunch of stuff online while I am still in the hospital. I set up the room and put all the girly bedding on and such. I probably should at least get one neutral blanket just in case!
I really am grateful to have the opportunity to live here. While I am driving around and look at the beautiful German countryside, I feel very lucky to experience all the different things that we are experiencing. It's also crazy how resilient kids are and how they adapt so easily. I'm glad they can experience the culture here. I have been a little bit down this week as we have been approaching Christmas. I am missing my family. Oh how I wish we could spend time with our families and let the kids play with their cousins. We have spent a handful of Christmas's away from family, but we have had close friends to spend it with. I am longing for that right now. I am comfortable here and am getting used to all the weird adjustments, but I am still not adjusted. Unfortunately since I am going to be having a baby soon, my adjustment period is going to be a lot longer. The one friend that I have met and love (that is home for the holidays) will be moving in the Spring. I need to put myself out there a little more and meet people.
Since it has been rainy almost everyday and we have been stuck inside, Adeline has been playing the Wii a lot. She LOVES the dance game for kids and is hilarious to watch!
3 comments:
I'm glad to hear that your little baby is doing well and the doctor isn't worried! I can't believe Adeline will sit on Santa's lap - after the first time this season there is no more talking Ingrid into it. I can imagine you're a little homesick around Christmas - I miss you! But if anyone is good at going out and meeting new people and making new friends, it is you! What a truly awesome experience for you guys!
I'm missing you too. :(
My Christmas wish is to come see you soon!!!
xoxo
It looks like you guys are having so much fun! That's great that Abe will get to be home more often. I'm sure lots of new adventures will be had......Glad all is well with everyone.
Post a Comment