So much for being a concerned mom!! Yesterday morning when I changed Norah's diaper and clothes, I noticed that her belly button was bleeding. It fell off extremely early and had a foul smell, so I had been worried about it anyway. I also noticed that on her tummy was a pretty good size circular area that was a lot darker. I worried that she may be bleeding underneath her skin since she was bleeding from her belly button. They had me come in on base for her to be seen. Not ideal since Norah was 8 days old and had already been to the hospital 3 days that week for her billirubin count. Her belly button they said was not a concern, but this bruising/discoloration... where did it come from? All of a sudden there were 5 doctors in my room helping take a bunch of her blood from all her tiny little veins, which was extremely painful to watch. Then they turned to me as I started to cry and insisted that my husband come in because it was important for him to be there. I started worrying even more at that point because they were so concerned.
All her labs came back.... normal. They then insisted that we go to the Children's Hospital so her vitals could be monitored for 24 hours and to make sure her discoloration/bruise didn't get any worse or that she didn't get any more of them. We got to the hospital and were admitted into the ER. Great. Last place I wanted to go with a newborn. We practically sat in a tiny little room for 5 hours while the doctor danced around the idea that she was being abused. They did an entire skeletal xray of her body AND a CAT scan. She was so upset from the xray that she puked everywhere once they gave her back to me. Of course her xray and CAT scan came back normal. The doctor finally agreed to let us be discharged instead of then being admitted for who knows how long.... for no reason since he didn't think that anything was wrong with her. So we got to go after 5 hours of being there just to make sure we weren't abusing her... plus the 3 hours of being on base. I felt like I was released from jail when we left the hospital. It is sad to think that babies are abused and I know it is their job to investigate; however it sucks to be accused of it. I was SO tired from being at the hospital for so long, already sleep deprived and it didn't help sitting on a hard chair for that long when I am still recovering from stitches. I told Abe that if a social worker came and talked to us to see if I wanted to hurt myself or the baby, I may just want to hurt her!! Then they would really be putting an investigation on us!
Today her "discoloration" has gone down and looks like it may go away. So what did I get out of my traumatic experience yesterday... or should I say Norah's? Nothing! Possibly and new little cold for my newborn. I am praying she doesn't really get sick. So out of both of our kids... Adeline is "failure to thrive" (you can click here if you don't remember that saga) and Norah is abused. What a great record we hold.
10 comments:
Oh Nicole. I am so sorry that this happened. It must have been horrible. However, you are smart to get it checked out. If it was something and you didn't do anything about it, you would have blamed yourself for not taking her in.
I know that doesn't help you feel better about what happened. I am SO SO SO sorry. Hang in there. Good luck catching up on your sleep!
I'm so sorry. I'm glad she's ok and it was just a pain in the a**... literally!
Hope for no more excitement for a while!!
How scary!! So glad everything is ok. Norah is adorable!!!
Oh honey! That is not fun! Sorry you had to do all that. Miss Norah is just so adorable! We miss you guys alot!
Also randomly I just started updating my blog again which it has been over a year and I noticed a post from you way back asking if Seth has a brother named Jon playing football at Snow and the answer was yes but now he is at Colorado State University. Did you know someone that knew him?? Anyway love to you and your new family of four! xoxo
It always seems to be one thing after another. Joe and I will keep you in our prayers that everything will be fine with Norah. I hope you are able to catch up on some sleep soon.
Oh brother! I hope things settle down and you can just enjoy being home with your girls!
Oh my gosh! I'm sooo sorry you had to go through that. I can't believe they would do that you. I bet you were scared. I am glad that she is ok and doing well.
Poor little Norah and poor you! What a pain! My cousin's first child was "failure to thrive" (not really) and then when she had her next two children that were teeny tiny and not on the charts, the doctors didn't give her a hard time because it's obviously in the genes. So if Norah ends up being tiny, I hope you don't have to go through the "failure to thrive" drama!
You are quite a woman. I'm really happy for you. What a time you had waiting and waiting and then 15 hrs of labor, but you did it! She's here! I had been checking your blog every day just waiting along with you. I'm so glad she's here and healthy. Those docs are crazy to thinking abuse. You are a GREAT mom. Also, LOVE the name Norah. We really considered it when we had Ava.
This whole story reminds me of what I did with my kids 10 times over, and in the end was mostly worried they had picked up something from the hosp. cause nothing else was ever "determined." Cute name by the way.
Post a Comment