I had a doctors appointment 2 days before my 41 week mark and my doctor decided to schedule me to come in the following Monday to be induced (break my water). He figured that if I didn't go into labor on my own before then, I would be close to 42 weeks, and at that point I wouldn't be able to deliver at Family Beginnings, which is a natural birthing center. He figured that if they broke my water on Monday, I would have a good chance of going into labor on my own and wouldn't need potocin. The following day I started getting a little stir crazy because I felt so horrible and was pretty sure I wasn't going to go into labor on my own before Monday.... so why wait until then? I figured I would have the same results on Thursday that I would on Monday. I called my doctor and he agreed for me to come in On Thursday (my 41 week mark) so he could break my water.
We arrived to Family Beginnings at 6:30am. 7:30am the doctor arrived and broke my water. He wasn't 100% that he actually broke the water because her head was so low that it was blocking any fluid from coming out. At about 11am he came back and attached a wire to the top of her head to ensure that my water was indeed broke. At that point they had me on a breast pump and walking to get regular contractions. At about 12pm I was having regular contractions and had started off 2-3 cms dilated. By 4pm my contractions were hurting pretty bad (still bearable though) and they checked me. I thought for sure I had progressed. To my disappointment, they told me I was still 2-3 cms dilated. The problem was that my cervix was VERY posterior (more than normal) and hadn't come forward at all on it's own. So before my cervix could dilate, it had to come all the way in the anterior position. If I had gone into labor on my own, my cervix would have most likely already been in the anterior position and my labor wouldn't have been too long.
Anyway, after they told me I was still only 2-3cms, I cried for a minute and then we started walking the halls again. At about 7:30 or 8pm, my contractions seemed unbearable and I really wanted to get into the tub. They normally don't want you to get into the tub until 5 cms, because it can slow down labor. They checked me and I was at 3cm. Once again, I really wanted to cry. The only good news was that my cervix was FINALLY in the anterior position. They told me to get into the tub anyway since I was in so much pain. Within the next hour of being in the tub, the nurse came in and told me she had to check me because of how I was sounding. She did and I was already at 5-6 cm. She called the doctor and had him come in right away. I labored in the bath for a total of about two hours or so and they had me get out because Norah's heart rate started going up. I moved into the room and ended up delivering Norah at 10:54pm. I really had wanted to do a water birth, but since her heart rate had risen, they didn't want me to get back in. Plus by the time I was ready to push, I frankly didn't care where or how she came out... I just wanted it to be over with. I am SO happy that I went natural, however it was REALLY hard! I kept telling Abe that I was going to die and that I couldn't do it anymore. And I really felt that way! It's amazing what the human body can go through and you really are ok! As soon as Norah came out I immediately felt SO much better! During my labor I kept thinking to myself "now WHY am I going natural?" I'm sure that everyone thinks that though when they are in the worst pain. My nurses were great and it was nice that I was able to eat throughout my entire labor, not be on an iv and be in complete control. My doctor was absolutely amazing as well. He wasn't even on call that night, but stayed on call for me and left his family on New Years Eve to deliver Norah. He even stuck around for a little bit after she was born and talked with us and wanted to look at little Norah.
Our room at family beginnings....
At 6:30am right before they broke my water
Immediately after I delivered Norah.... about 15 hours of labor... yuck!
This week has been going pretty well. My mom left on Tuesday and that was really emotional for me. I wish that we lived closer to family. With us having a new baby and moving to Boston in April, who knows when we will see everyone again... or when anyone else will get to meet Norah.
The hardest part about having two kids for me has been trying to give Adeline enough attention. I really don't want her to feel bad at all and get really jealous. She has been such a good little kid though and loves Norah so much. All day she asks to hold Norah and wants to lay be her. She is always hugging and kissing her and is pretty soft. Of course Adeline seems so old all of a sudden. She has full on conversations with us and is talking unbelievably well. Whenever she wants to do something she has to say after it... "that would be fun!" and she has to put in "probably" in just about every sentence. She cracks me up.
Adeline today before she went outside and played in the snow with daddy

The girls watching Dora together
15 comments:
You are amazing! And seriously your girls are soooo cute! You looked so good after giving birth! Hope your recovery is speedy!
You are so strong to be able to do that. I don't know if I could go natural. I love that epidural too much:) Congrats on another beautiful baby!!
I am so extremely impressed! Way to go...I've been debating about whether or not I could go natural with this baby on the way (just because the epidural was so scary with Beck) - you're story is making me think more seriously about it - but really, the thought just terrifies me. I'm so proud of you! Hope you're feeling well.
You are so awesome! I definitely wouldn't have been able to do it without an epidural. It's the first thing I ask for. I'm glad everything went well and you have two great girls. Isn't it funny how big the first seems when they used to seem so small. That was the weirdest. You are doing great! Good luck with everything!
Wow, you are amazing! I'm not sure I would be able to go natural, I was way too scared (before I found out I had to have a c-section).
Hope you are feeling well, she really is beautiful (as is her big sis)!
Nicole, you are awesome! Your labor story sounds horrible, and I am jealous because I couldn't do it! Norah is darling. I think she totally looks like Adeline's baby pictures (you should post some side by side). I also really like Norah's alliterated name. Congrats, enjoy your TWO little girls!
YOU ARE MY HERO! Can't wait to meet her!
xoxo
Nicole, you are amazing to go natural with such a long labor. I am so impressed, I wish I had that kind of pain tolerance. Congrats, Norah is so cute and I love her name!
Thanks for sharing your story. Maybe I am weird, but I like reading birth stories. Everyone's is so different. Did the tub help a ton? The body is amazing and it is crazy that one moment you feel as though you will die and then the next moment it's all over. Did you have an epidural with Adeline? I totally understand why people get epidurals, but they scare me. You girls are so cute!
Wow Nicole, you are a trooper! I can't imagine going through that all naturally. I am glad that everything went well and that you were able to acomplish your goal! Congrats on another beautiful little girl!
That's so amazing! I can't imagine going all natural! I remember my Mom leaving to go back to Cali right after I had Ty and it was so hard, I cried for a few days. I totally feel for you, it's hard not having Mom around when you are having kids.
I was wondering if you like your Moses Basket. We are thinking of getting one but I was wondering if it was worth it and if Norah sleeps well in it.
Sorry this is so long, I hope you keep recovering well!
Good work!! I was hoping for a Birth Center birth too (but that didn't happen even slightly) so I'm a little jealous! She's beautiful!
Wow, what a story, I don't know how you did it natural! But that is pretty impressive, Congrats on baby Norah!
Wow Nicole! Way to go - it is incredible what you can go through as a Mother and survive...you are superwoman!
My labor with Angela was twelve hours, but much, much easier than what you just described. I never went into transition until minutes before I delivered her. And my contractions were five to ten minutes apart except the last five before pushing her out. It was a joke in comparison.
Great job! You are one tough woman. Thanks for sharing.
You are one brave woman!!! She is beautiful! Congrats again! XOXO
Post a Comment