Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Sigh of Relief

The last three months (ever since we moved to Ohio) have been stressful because the doctors on base that have seen Adeline are concerned about Adeline's weight. As of June, Adeline no longer "charted" and so they had me go to a Nutritionist and warned me they would possibly do lab tests on her if she doesn't improve by one year. Well, the nutritionist had some good ideas, but overall was pretty ridiculous because she gave me a guilt trip because Adeline's weight is "all my fault". She also let me know that the last doctor Adeline saw deemed her as being "Failure to Thrive", in which the doctor never told me about. So let's just say I haven't been too happy with the doctors/nutritionist here in Ohio because Adeline is NOT failure to thrive. She is a perfectly normal little baby and runs around everywhere.

Today I got a sigh of relief. I went for Adeline's 12 month check up and went to a new doctor, thanks to Shelby for the recommendation. First of all, Adeline weighed in at 16 lbs 14 ounces which is great! That means she has gained over a pound in the last month. Adeline is just barely the 3% for her weight. The doctor is not concerned at all because she has a good growth pattern and is probably just petite. It made me feel so much better! Adeline is 50% for her height and head as well. I felt bad though because Adeline had to get 4 shots and blood work done. Poor little thing! She did so well though and is now resting from all the trauma this morning.

11 comments:

AnnP said...

I am so glad! Adeline always looked happy and healthy to me, so I am really glad that you got a doctor who understands what kind of child you have. Hopefully you can continue to see that doctor instead of the other crazy doctors.

Ashley said...

Ugh, that is so frustrating, I am glad you switched peditricians. Who needs to have a doctor tell them they aren't feeding their baby well enough. Thomas was 18 lbs at 1 year, and we went through the same kind of thing, but some kids are just small, and some are big. It's all in how they are developing in other ways I feel. I hope that it gets better, it's been better for me since we dont' have to get him weighed as much, there is less doctors appointments after one year.

Katy said...

That is so frustrating about those doctors. Brian has always been little coming in at 2% for weight one time and he's survived. He's always been happy and slept well so I figured that he was okay but it still makes you worry. Sorry those doctors put you through a guilt trip.

Sassy said...

What a sigh of relief. I have to stick up for the doctors though, they are just trying to do what is right. Every now and then you will get a quack, but overall, they just want what's best for you!! I am so glad this is finally calming down though.

The Crookstons said...

I am glad that you and her are doing better. She always looks so happy and healthy, you are such a good mom. I am glad that you have found a doctor that is good.

Meg said...

That "Failure to Thrive" doctor has no idea what he's talking about - Adeline is a happy, healthy, super cute little girl with an awesome mom (and dad)! And I wanted to say that I love the picture of your pregnant belly down below with Abe - I want one like that. I'm glad you're doing well!

Tyler and Emily said...

What lame doctors! I LOVE the pictures you have from every month of her first year!

Maggi said...

um, I was worried too. Adeline just never has had any energy and she just lays around all day. It's a good thing she can walk because she can go through the garbages and eat Cloe's food - since you don't feed her!!!!

Love ya,
Mag

Maria said...

I am glad you went to a new Dr!

Marlo said...

That about sums up how I feel about the doctors on our base as well. I'm glad you got to go see someone else. Adeline is adorable.

Tara said...

Nicole-
Do you ever just want to say to the doctors.. "I know my kid better THAN YOU DO!!!"

She is darling!

Hugs!