Friday, February 5, 2010

Naughty

.... is a good word to describe Adeline lately. I feel like before she is about to do something she thinks, "what can I do to make mommy mad" or "how can I act out?" I am trying really hard to be patient. And I am starting to realize that I don't have as much patience as I thought I had... I need to work on that. I guess it is about time for Adeline to start acting like this because after all, she's two, right? Also, she has never been one to do anything she shouldn't do.

When it's time for bed, she starts kicking, screaming, yelling, crying... and doesn't let up. Yesterday for nap she did it for three hours and never even went to bed. She has the BIGGEST attitude lately. You ask her to do something and she will give you the biggest crusty, hit her hand in the air and snap "NO!"

Anyway, a couple things that she has done this week that are naughty, but funny are...

Lately in the morning Abe will get up with Adeline and play with her for a little bit before he has to go to work. And then I can sleep a little bit more after a sleepless night :) Abe will turn a show on for Adeline and then leave for work. I end up coming downstairs about 10 minutes after he leaves.

Tuesday- I heard Abe leave and then immediately I heard Adeline jump off the couch and run across the kitchen floor. I though... hmmm, that seems a little suspicious. We have a candy drawer that she can access and I had a feeling she was heading for that. I sneak downstairs and peak around the corner in to the kitchen and Adeline and shoveling candy out of the drawer. Busted. She looked at me and said, "mommy, I'm just getting you some candy!" That day I emptied out the drawer and hid the candy.

Wednesday- Abe leaves. I go downstairs about 10 minutes after. Adeline is watching Dora and has blue all over her face. Before I could even say anything, she said "mommy, I ate a blue sucker". Uh, I know, I see it all over your face! Don't know where she found that.

Thursday- Abe leaves. I go downstairs about 10 minutes after. Adeline is watching her show as usual and eating out of a plastic bowl. I didn't even look to see what she was eating because I figured that Abe gave her dry cereal. I am about to pour myself a bowl of cereal and Adeline says, "mommy, I'm eating chocolate!". Adeline had got into the pantry, found the chocolate chips and poured them into a bowl. Oh geez. As soon as I take them away, she runs over to me and says, "mommy, do you want to see what I did?", "Uh, yes", Adeline brings me into the Laundry room and says, "I'm going to be in big trouble!" There is a rag on the floor by Chloe's water bowl. I look on the ground and there is no water (because ADeline has poured water on the floor before. I asked Adeline what she did and she brought Chloe over and patted her very wet back. "uh, Chloe has lots of germs!"


Looks like Adeline isn't the only one acting naughty... look where I found Chloe after I ran upstairs to put Adeline to bed?

14 comments:

the mind behind said...

What a little stinker! So sweet though. Hopefully she'll settled in soon and be back to her sweet self.

Anonymous said...

I love the picture!

Creel Family said...

That is exactly what Mikey did. It's probably partly being two and partly having to share attention. Mikey knows what to do that's wrong so that I pay attention to him. I had to reinvent myself as a mother and figure out how to spend time with both of them and get stuff done, all on two hours of sleep. You can do it. It does get better. We still have bad days, and many sleepless nights 8 months later, but most days work out. I love that picture. It is TOO funny! Oh, here's my address:
45539 Barrymore Avenue Lancaster CA 93534
: )
Oh, on your last post I thought it was funny, too, because our second babies are the same, too. Riley even has a raspy little voice. Ha Ha.

Jocie said...

Hey maybe the baby was cold. Chloe was just trying to keep her warm. Josh is convinced that our pug does nothing wrong. Look at him, he is just too sweet. I love the one where she has too many germs, not just she needed a bath.

Brooke said...

cute pic! That was a fun little read.....you're so lucky that she doesn't whine and scream at you though. That will really test your patience (which I now have none of).
I've got to ask, though, what do you mean by crusty?!

Mindy said...

Oh Nicole, I have a hard time believing that you ever lose your patience. Funny stories about Adeline. I'm sure my day dealing with a little stinker will be here before I know it. Thanks for Norah's darling birth annoucement.

rachwheel said...

My kids get extra mischievous when a baby is about to arrive - think it's more after when it's their first time experiencing it, and it's always an adjustment for a whole house. Good luck!
Angela tells me no all the time. I have her help every day clean something up. After a few times of asking her, she'll either say okay and do it, or I sit her on time out just like I do the other kids for not listening to Mommy. She's more cooperative after that. It's amazing how smart they are at such a little age. With Angela, almost too smart for her own good...feel like she started the terrible two's at age one. And it doesn't get better from here, they just go through different stages - some worse than others. Four is not my favorite now that I have another one starting it. The artl of manipulation really begins...just wait. Five has been better for Hyrum - Ginnie is my hard one lately. I hear seven is also a really hard age. This is just the beginning, Nicole. Different ages, different stages, it's like getting a different child for a while. Enjoy the innocence while it lasts.

Amy (Jones) & Lance Engberson Family said...

Oh...welcome to the terrible 2's...I'm so sorry you are having to deal with them. Hang in there...She will get back to herself in no time.

Meg said...

I would think these stories are really funny except I'm sure I'll be dealing with similiar behavior before I know it - and then it won't be so funny. Adeline is quite a character, and so smart!

~Conradis~ said...

Ha ha, my daughter is in the terrible 2's and there is a baby sister on the way, can't wait! Good Luck!

Nicole and Abe said...

Shantel--- we don't have access to your blog and I haven't known how to get a hold of you to ask you to invite us again.... hopefully you see this!!

Christi said...

Great stories. I will enjoy my days of sleep A LOT for now. Cute pic of Chloe! Love it. Miss you guys!

Shelby and Johnny Family said...

i LOVE this post. i've been feeling the exact same way with sol lately. the other day he cried and screamed the whole way to the gym in the car (which he NEVER does!) i stopped twice, but could not figure out what was wrong. then he just stopped crying. i don't know if it's attention thing or what, but he keeps doing tons of stuff to push my buttons. i'm sorry things are going like that, but i'm right there with you. yesterday during "nap" time, sol took all the pictures off his wall, tried to get the mirror off, and picked off things i had adhered to his letters on his wall. i could have strangled him! (well, not really, but you know what i mean.)good luck!

Laurie said...

oh man.. am I in for it. If you are getting this out of just one adorable little girl. I am not looking forward to being ganged up on.