Friday, February 24, 2012

Karneval

Karneval is a huge "Holiday" here in Germany. It is basically a big party/festivities before Lent starts. It officially started last Thursday and went through this past Monday. The festivities are big parades, parties and everyone dresses up. It's a little mix of Halloween and Mardi Gras. It was pretty funny seeing many adults riding their bikes everywhere in pretty ridiculous costumes!

Last week Adeline's kindergarten celebrated Karneval. The Monday before Karneval officially started, someone came into the Kindergarten and did face painting. Adeline was pretty excited about the horse painted on her face!

{Class Picture}

The Thursday that Karneval started, all the kids were able to wear pajamas to school. Adeline wasn't supposed to eat before I dropped her off because they served the kids breakfast. When I picked Adeline up, they were dancing around in their pajamas to music and were having a great time. I had wished I had my video camera with me to document it!


On Friday the kids were able to wear a costume to school.

{Adeline and her German Friend Maike. Maike is a year older and looks twice Adeline's size. These girls love each other. Adeline doesn't speak German and Maike doesn't speak English}

Over the weekend we didn't participate in any of the festivities. We missed all the children's parades and that is what I wanted to go to. I didn't want to take the girls to the big parades, because I heard they are extremely raunchy and are not good to bring kids. My German friend Michaela (which is Maike's mom and I will have to talk about more in another post) invited us to go with them to our town "party" on Monday to celebrate Karneval. Abe had worked a 24 hour the night before and didn't care to go. So I left Meika with him and took Norah and Adeline. We walked over to the party with our German friends. We most likely were the only Americans in the entire hall. Everyone sat down at a table and all the kids ate a TON of candy. When the party started, the band played and while everyone stood up, the "prince of karneval" arrived (which happens to be our dairy farm neighbor). Balloons were thrown everywhere and everyone sang some sort of song. Not sure what it was since I did not understand it! Then the whole program was the school age kids performing dances with their classes. It was really cute. Adeline loved watching all the kids, especially her friend Maike performing.

{getting ready to go}


{the prince being welcomed}



{my German friend Michaela and Norah. I thought Norah would be terrified of her b/c of her costume and wig, but Norah sat with her the entire time}

{Maike performing}

{Maike}



Other than that, we have just been hanging out. Luckily it is starting to "warm up" a little, so I hope it continues to so I can start walking outside with the girls. It has been a little to cold to go walking with Meika. She is growing like a weed. I can't believe she is already 4 weeks old!



This week I made home made play dough with the girls. It brought me back to my childhood because I can totally remember doing that with my mom!


{The girls playing outside on a "warmer" day. Had to get this picture of all 3 girls in their DARLING hats my mom made}





{cute little Meika smiling in her sleep. Last week she started smiling at us on purpose when we talk to her! Melts my heart. She seems a little young to be doing that before she is 4 weeks old, but maybe it's b/c she was overdue?}






Adeline and Norah continue to play so well together. The will disappear for hours at times. This is an outfit Adeline insisted Norah wear for one of their performances.

3 comments:

broni said...

that looks like so much fun.. i can't believe how big meika is getting. love them all.

heidi smart said...

the activities look so much fun. love the hats on the girls :)
wish i was there!

Amanda Waite said...

How fun! All three of your girls are darling!!