Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Weekend in Vermont & Chicken "Pops"

One place that we have been meaning to venture to, but hadn't made it there was Vermont. On Friday morning after preschool we packed the kids in the car and drove up to Ricker Pond in Vermont. It really hasn't been too cold here, except this last weekend. I thought the girls would most likely just need a sweatshirt and last minute I ended up packing winter coats, hats & gloves. I was so glad that we did. It was FREEZING COLD!! We decided to rent a little cabin to minimize the hassle of bringing the tent and to hopefully taper off the sounds of our little kids at night so we didn't bug our neighbors. The cabin had a little bunk and a futon and we brought our sleeping bags and blankets. The cabin definitely wasn't any warmer than outside. We just walked around the campground, the pond and then cooked our tin foil dinners by the fire for dinner. For dessert we had the usual smores, which Adeline enjoyed (when it wasn't on her coat, hair, fingers or face :). When it was time for bed, we had no choice but to all fall asleep at the same time. We were all piled in next to each other to stay warm and Norah would not be quiet. The would burst out singing "Twinkle twinkle little star", but sing it in the melody and say, "Twinkle Adeline Twinkle Adeline......". This is one of Adeline's pet peeves when Norah does this and she knows it... that's why she does it! After Norah would do that over and over again Adeline would yell, "TURN YOUR VOICE OFF NORAH!!". Then Norah would be quiet and start singing again. Once she stopped singing, she would make loud noises with her mouth. After all the bickering from Adeline because she was annoyed and tired, she finally fell asleep and so did Abe. So I was stuck with Norah being loud and playing with my face. Probably after almost 2 hours she finally fell asleep. Little stinker.








Enjoying smores

Making bagels for breakfast

Eating breakfast out by the pond in the sun so we could warm up a little bit



After warming up and eating breakfast we packed up and went on a hike up to Owl's head that over looked Kittery Pond. Adeline is such an energizer bunny and wad running up the trail the entire time. she LOVES hiking. When we were done with that hike, she wanted to go on another one.





Instead of heading right home, we took a detour and went to the Ben and Jerry's Ice Cream Factory. We went on the tour, although they weren't in production because it was over the weekend. At the end of the tour they even gave us generous size samples of the flavor of the day.





On our way home from the factory, we drove right through Sharon Vermont, which happens to be the birth place of Joseph Smith. Abe insisted on stopping since we were practically driving right through it. Norah had barely fallen asleep for her nap (really late nap), so Adeline and Abe went and looked around for a little bit. The girls were going CRAZY on the way home because it felt like it had taken us about 10 hours (not really but that's what it felt like). All in all we had a blast and it was so pretty in Vermont!!


The next morning Adeline ran into our room and said "I have so many itchy bug bites all over!" Abe had looked at her face and she was right, they were all over. He warned me not to say anything when I looked at her face since there were so many. At first we were trying to figure out if she really got bit since we hadn't, or if a spider had eaten her alive in her bed or something. We lifted up her shirt and saw a lot more on her back and knew it most likely wasn't bites. Abe took Adeline to the doctor while Norah and I were at church (since I was supposed to teach) and they diagnosed her with Chicken Pox. Adeline has the WORST LUCK with vaccinations. They just don't seem to work on her. Last year RotaVirus and this year chicken pox. Luckily since she is vaccinated, she has a mild case. She has about 10 on her face, 10 on her back and then a handful on her arms and legs... none on her belly. She has still felt really good despite her spots, but is getting stir crazy and sad that she can't go to school or anywhere for that matter. They are starting to crust over, so hopefully she can be around other kids soon. Such a bummer she has to miss so much school when she hardly has any left. I feel so bad for her. She really is a trooper. Adeline will tell you she has CHICKEN POPS. Let's just hope Norah doesn't get them right before we are supposed to be going to Germany!!




On a side note, the movers called me last night and informed me that they are super busy next week and they wanted to come this morning to get a start on the packing. I informed them that we are not ready, but they can pack our basement and little things and we don't need. Also that anyone that comes in my house should be immune to chicken pox so they don't get them. They showed up and my house was a bomb with the such short notice and they were wanting to pack everything. Since I am not going to see my stuff for 3 months, I would at least like to go through my stuff to separate what I want to bring with me!! It turned out fine, but was really frustrating and stressful for me. I really am not ready to move yet... and especially for them to start packing us a week earlier than expected!

Random picture but I had to document it. Adeline had to answer, "I am sorry when..." at church. She had been poking Norah the entire time in sacrament and bugging her. When I saw her response after church I thought it was pretty funny.

3 comments:

Campbell Family said...

You guys do such fun stuff!!

Brooke said...

Poor Adeline! At least it's happening now and not while you're traveling. Hopefully Norah doesn't get it. Norah is quite ornery isn't she?! I think her and Avery would get along really well.
Seeing your camping pics makes me really miss you guys. We haven't been once since our last camping trip with you guys! (well, I take that back....we did once when we stopped at the Grand Canyon, but we needed a place to stay so that doesn't count.) :)

Tami H. said...

Glad you got to check out a bit of vermont! That is hilarious about Nora purposefully bugging Adeline with that song!! I can't believe they packed you a week early - with nooooooo notice!