Sunday, May 9, 2010

Military Life


Before I met Abe, what I knew about the military was pretty ignorant... I didn't know much. Military life has been a lot better than I had imagined. Abe has had great jobs and for the past year and a half they paid him to get his Masters Degree. Can't beat that. We have felt very fortunate during these hard economic times to know that his job is not going anywhere. This is the first time that we have actually lived "on base". I have always been a little anti living on base, but it's not that bad. When people here ask where we live and we say "on base", I think they imagine we live in a tent or something. We don't. Here are some of the things I've come to learn about base-

-Every day at 7:30am Reveille (pronounced revily) plays on the loud speakers. I never really hear it unless I am already awake.
-Every day at 5pm the National Anthem plays; this is called retreat. If you are in your car, you are expected to stop and wait until it has finished. If you are outside, you are to stop, face the music and put your hand on your heart. Adeline and I were playing at the park one day when it went off. There were lots of kids there without an adult. But without fail, all the kids stopped what they were doing and did what they were supposed to. It's actually pretty cool. Adeline knows what to do now. If you come and visit us she will teach you :)
-Every night at 9pm Taps plays
-It's nice living close to everything. Abe's work is .5 mile away from our house. The commisary (grocery store) is cheap and convenient. The gym is really nice, FREE and is just down the street. It also has a family room so I can work out and bring my kids. There is a bowling alley and a couple places to eat on base. There is also a library, dog park, thrift store, BX (like Shopko), a bank, gas station, swimming pool, movie theatre, elementary school, etc.
-We went to "How to train your dragon" at the movie theatre on Friday night on base. It was really good! It cost us $8.00 for all four of us to get in. Adeline and Norah were free. What a deal! Before the movie starts they play the National Anthem and everyone has to stand up and put their hand over their heart.
-If you live on base here, preschool is going to be completely free. Starting this year the military is going to fund it.
-It's nice living on base because it's easier to meet people. Everyone is in the same boat.
-This is not a perk from living on base, but we have learned that Chick-Fil-A here gives a 50% discount to military. We also learned that we can park at a Coast Guard Station downtown for free instead of paying $20.

I feel like I am more patriotic now than I used to be. Last week I was leaving base and as I left, and bunch of cop cars and cars past me to get on base. It looked like the president was coming to visit. I called Abe to see what was going on. It was a Fallen Soldier Procession. On my way back on base I was two cars away from getting back onto base when they shut down the gates for the Procession. We had to wait about 20 minutes for it to start. By then there were probably 100 cars behind me trying to get on base. Every single person got out of their vehicles to stand for the soldier as they drove off base. Civilians, contractors and military all walked down to the street from where they were working to stand for the soldier. I couldn't help but cry and be thankful. It was a neat experience.

Before living on base, it didn't seem as "real" that Abe was in the military... except that he wears his uniform every day. I'm pretty sure living on base will be a good experience.

7 comments:

Ashley said...

I think living on the base is so awesome. My brother use to and I always loved going to the commissary and getting gas there:-)I've heard the schools are really awesome too. Neat to hear about it too. I can't believe preschool and the gym are free. We are spending like $1700 on that next year so that is awesome.

Meg said...

I think living on base sounds great! I didn't realize all that stuff went on, like the National Anthem being played every evening, it think it's really interesting. And just reading your post makes me feel more patriotic, so I can imagine living on base is doing that for you. And Norah's 4 month pictures are adorable! Do you know when in June you're going to be in Utah? I would love to see you!

Katy said...

That sounds pretty cool. I'm glad things are going well for you guys!

Laura said...

Oh good, I'm so glad that its working out on base. I know you weren't too excited about it, but maybe it'll be okay. I probably missed it in all of your posts because I'm bad about reading everything, but did you guys end up getting in one of the newer houses on base that you were hoping for?

Shelby and Johnny Family said...

love this post! after touring so much of dc today, i'm also feeling pretty patriotic! also, the first time i didn't live on a military base was when i went to byu. i've lived on base my whole life and hadn't really known anything different. glad you are having fun experiencing it! oh, and someone told me the "only" way to travel between boston and dc is by train...that might be easier with kids?? i'm not sure. and i'll be in utah from june 1-july 1, so if you're there in june we have GOT to get together with the kids!!

Max Fam said...

Thanks, Nicole - I am so ignorant, and that was so insightful. Sounds like a great place to be. If you guys ever want to come down to Richmond to visit, we'd love to see you!

Christi said...

Tears to my eyes you just brought. I am so happy you guys are having such a great experience. Count your blessings but you guys deserve it. Thanks for sharing. I loved it.