Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Hospital Stay and first days at home

I had to stay two nights in the hospital after having Anders. The German moms usually stay about a week, even if they had a vaginal delivery. I think they take it as some sort of "vacation". I on the other hand want to get out of there as soon as possible. When having a baby in the States, it is extremely hard to get any sleep. I felt like every 30 minutes there would be another nurse coming in to check blood pressure, check on the baby, etc. At the German hospital, they practically leave you alone which is really nice. I guess I would be in trouble if something crazy went wrong with my body after having a baby, because I would be passed out in my bed and no one would find out for a long time! I had a really nice big room this time around. Unfortunately I hardly got any sleep at the hospital. The first night, Anders was completely passed out the entire night and I was worried that he wasn't at all interested in eating. Every hour or two I kept trying to see if he would eat and of course he stayed fast asleep and didn't want anything to do with it. The second night I was determined to get some sleep. It was during the World Cup and Germany was playing that night. I could hear the TV blasting down the hallways of the hospital and it sounded like a party on the streets. The game didn't end until after midnight and there was a lot of noise for about an hour longer since Germany won.

Abe was able to spend the first night with me since Julia could be at home with the girls. It was so nice not having to worry about the girls and also know they were in good hands. During the day Abe would come and hang out with me and then go back to get Julia and the girls to come and hang out. The girls were so cute when they came to see Anders for the first time. They had brought books, Anders' lovey and his stuffed animal. They were determined that he was going to love those items right away and were very proud big sisters. Meika didn't skip a beat and asked where her baby brother was when she walked through the door. I thought she would maybe be a bit confused, but she totally got it. They enjoyed fighting over who got to hold the baby, eating our disgusting hospital food and playing in the room. Meika and Norah kept locking themselves in my ginormous bathroom and playing in there. Meika kept telling me that she wanted to wash her hands in the "little sink", which was actually a bidet. I had to sanitize the entire bathroom before they would come because they would play with the bidet, lay on the shower floor pretending it was their bed, etc. Silly girls.

5Q4A7248

IMG_1723

IMG_1704

IMG_1731

5Q4A7245

IMG_1698

IMG_1691

IMG_1687

5Q4A7182

5Q4A7180

5Q4A7201

5Q4A7205

5Q4A7243

5Q4A7228

5Q4A7222

5Q4A7260

5Q4A7262

5Q4A7269

5Q4A7274

5Q4A7279

5Q4A7280

5Q4A7286

5Q4A7293

5Q4A7299


I think the nurses thought I was starving myself during my stay. Because the hospital food is so nasty, Abe would bring me food from home and I had a friend that brought me an amazing shake and wraps for dinner one night and then some yummy oatmeal one morning. One of the nurses started to say something about it at one point since I hadn't really touched my food. I showed her the meal my friend brought me that I had stored in the fridge and she said, "Oh, that is way better than this food!".

5Q4A7255

IMG_1708

When it was time to leave, Adeline was too excited and had to come with Abe to pick me up!
5Q4A7307

5Q4A7308

5Q4A7310


The girls were very excited when I got home and are so very in love with him!

IMG_1732

IMG_1733

IMG_1729

IMG_1737




1 comment:

Meg said...

Anders is so perfect!! I hope he's still little enough to snuggle when I first meet him. So happy for your beautiful family!