Today was Adeline's first day of Kindergarten. I must say we had to set our alarm this morning to go and wake Adeline up. We have been sleeping till 9am everyday and it is pretty pathetic. It is so dark here in the mornings and our rolladens don't help out in that aspect. At 7:45am I had to wake her up and she thought for sure it was still night time. She was pretty excited to go to school though and got dressed and ready to go. Abe dropped her off and the teacher gave her a nice welcome and introduced her to all the kids and explained (in German) that she did not speak German, but that she was going to learn fast. To be honest, I have not been very excited about her going. I just don't LOVE this school for some reason, even though I am sure it is great. Part of my problem is that it is a big commitment to get her there every single day and it seems really hard with a new baby too... plus Norah. Luckily Abe is home most mornings and can help me... or else I would die! I also feel like this "school" is more like daycare and definitely not academic. I have to keep reminding myself we are doing this for a cultural and language experience... plus some socialization. The poor girl needs to make some more friends! When I went to pick her up from school today, Adeline was in a really good mood and said she had a lot of fun. One of the girls in her class is named Johanna, and she thinks that is really neat since she has the same name as her cousin. Adeline is really brave and likes to challenge herself. I can see it more and more as she gets older. I am really proud of her because frankly, I wouldn't want to be thrown into a class where no one spoke my language! I had sent Adeline with a snack that consisted of apple sauce, a granola bar and fruit snacks... I did get a little bit in trouble for doing that. I was told when I picked her up to not pack her "sweeties". She will now be going with a fruit, a brotchen (like the rest of the kids) and possibly cheese. I did take one picture of Adeline this morning before she left for school, but cannot find the cord anywhere. Hopefully I will find it soon and upload it.
Ok. Onto Adeline's questions....
Adeline is ALWAYS thinking and asking way too many questions. She practically never stops talking or asking questions. She stumps me all the time because she digs so deep into random subjects and wants to know/understand everything. You have to be careful around this girl and know your stuff! Tonight the girls were getting in the bath and Adeline turned to me and this is what was said.....
A: "Are they going to knife your belly?"
N: "What do you mean by that?"
A: "Well, are they going to cut your belly to get the baby out?"
N: "No, the baby just comes out!"
A: "Well, HOW does it come out though?"
..... so, I just had to tell the poor little thing. I couldn't lie to her! You should have seen the expression on her face. Priceless! She didn't ask any more questions after that.
9 comments:
haha, maybe she won't be asking any more questions for a long while!! My kids only know about the baby being cut out. I suppose I'll have to explain the natural way at some point.
Hah! That is hilarious! You stumped her! :)
I've just spent the last 20 minutes or so catching up on your blog! I miss you guys SOOO much! A few things - 1) you look aaaamazing 2) I'm so jealous of your playroom 3) I laughed out loud at your girls with the balloon bellies (especially norah w/o underwear :) 4) Norah is the cutest little cherub ever and Adeline and Jo are so similar it makes my heart ache that they can't spend more time together 5) I've decided that I need to try to get Jo to come to Germany with me when we finally can come! Love you! Really starting to get anxious to confirm my suspicions of you having a girl!
I can't imagine being in another country and going through everything you are going through! You are inspiring! Too cute about Adiline. Man, they grow up so fast!
Adeline is a brave little thing - how amazing that your kids get to learn German!! And I think your snack sounds pretty healthy - according to those German teachers my kids live off of sweeties :)
And happy birthday to cute Norah!! Now I'm getting really excited for the upcoming new baby post - take care, you're amazing!
I've been a horrible friend and haven't commented on here in SO long! I have been following you though and am SO proud of you and all you are accomplishing and just being in Germany! I love all the pics and the beautiful German stories. You guys sound like you are doing aweseme and it is so great that you have Abe home a lot for this new baby. I love catching up with you. Thanks for posting so much!
Oh, and Mikey asked how babies come out with this pregnancy and I sort of told him and he did NOT understand. He still thinks I pee out babies. So good job Adeline : )
Adeline's question was too funny! I love your response :)
wow, Adeline is one brave girl and you are one brave mommy. I hope she loves kindergarten and is speaking German soon, because that will be darling.
Your house looks amazing! look how green your yard is! and that church and windmill??? I'm so jealous. You are lucky to be surrounded by so much beauty.
thanks for the invite ;)
Post a Comment