We knew for awhile that we needed to get rid of Meika's binkie, but there was always something keeping me from doing it. Whether it was a new baby, moving back to the States, living in temporary housing forever… you get the point. Finally I got the kids to the dentist in March or April and he confirmed that Meika definitely has some little buck teeth and that it was time for us to cut ties with her binkie. She has never really had it during the day, but ALWAYS sleeps with it and her "bear bear" at night. I talked to Meika about it and she decided that she wanted to go ahead and send her binkie up in the sky via a balloon up to the binkie fairy. She knew that once she did that, the fairy would leave her a present in return. I first cut her binkie off her little cow for two reasons. One, I thought it would be fun for her to keep her cow for comfort. And two, it would have been too heavy floating away attached to the cow!
We all ran outside and I was planning on doing a count down for her to let go of the balloons and we could catch it on video and I could take some pictures. As I was walking out of the house for us to start, she just flung the balloons up in the sky and yelled, "Bye bye binkie!!!" She was jumping up and down and was really excited and waved goodbye. She immediately ran inside and to the front door and saw that a present was awaiting her from the fairy.



I kept thinking, "geez, that wasn't hard at all!!" And that part was pretty easy. But when bedtime came, she was a wreck. She didn't know what to do without it at bedtime and cried for awhile. It was the most sincere, saddest cry I have ever heard and it broke my heart. I could hear Norah trying to comfort her in bed, "It's alright Meika, it will be ok". Meika would say, "No it's not Norah, it's my binkie. It's gone forever and I want it!" After having to lay with her (and shed a tear of my own), we ended up having her sleep with us for the night. After that night she has missed it, but it has been fine. She likes to sleep with her "bear bear" and her cow (that she still calls her binkie). Her teeth are already back to Normal and it was a success!
We all ran outside and I was planning on doing a count down for her to let go of the balloons and we could catch it on video and I could take some pictures. As I was walking out of the house for us to start, she just flung the balloons up in the sky and yelled, "Bye bye binkie!!!" She was jumping up and down and was really excited and waved goodbye. She immediately ran inside and to the front door and saw that a present was awaiting her from the fairy.



I kept thinking, "geez, that wasn't hard at all!!" And that part was pretty easy. But when bedtime came, she was a wreck. She didn't know what to do without it at bedtime and cried for awhile. It was the most sincere, saddest cry I have ever heard and it broke my heart. I could hear Norah trying to comfort her in bed, "It's alright Meika, it will be ok". Meika would say, "No it's not Norah, it's my binkie. It's gone forever and I want it!" After having to lay with her (and shed a tear of my own), we ended up having her sleep with us for the night. After that night she has missed it, but it has been fine. She likes to sleep with her "bear bear" and her cow (that she still calls her binkie). Her teeth are already back to Normal and it was a success!
No comments:
Post a Comment