Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Thankful

The day before Thanksgiving Adeline's preschool had a Harvest Breakfast. I was pleased they actually did something for the Holiday, because I was quite bummed they didn't do ANYTHING to celebrate Halloween. They just did a little breakfast for the kids and the families could join them. They made cute little place mats to each their breakfast on in honor of thanksgiving. On the place mat it said "I am Thankful for....." and Adeline's said, "my doggie Chloe and that I could go to California". Kind of funny that all the other kids said mommy, daddy, my family, etc. But I'm sure she really is thankful she could go to California. She tells me just about everyday that she wants to see Jojo and that she misses her. After she ate her breakfast I painted her hand and she made a turkey out of it on paper.

{Norah playing in the preschool toys :) }



On Thanksgiving we had our friend Rob in town. We all headed over to a friends house to have dinner with them. It was pretty mellow... well for Abe & I, but probably not for our friends Sam & Heidi since they don't have kids!! Heidi and I decided that we would split up the food responsibilities. She probably won't ask us over again though because I did not do a good job at all! The sweet potatoes were really good, rolls were ok, turkey was great (Abe Fried it), but the green bean casserole and my pie were a flop. One of my friends made fun of me when I told her about the green bean casserole because she said that is just about the easiest thing you can make. Well, since I NEVER have made a green bean casserole, I really had no idea what recipe would be good or not. Apparently I picked a disgusting one. Rob was nice and said they were fine, but Norah was really the only one that would eat them. We ended up throwing away almost the entire pan full :) Now for the pie.... it was a french silk pie which turned out perfect last year. I thought up until we were about to eat it that it looked perfect. Heidi was getting the pies ready and said, "uh, Nicole, is this pie raw?" Right then it dawned on me.... I DID NOT COOK THE PIE SHELL! Really I have no idea where my brain is. It ended up being fine because I scooped the entire pie out into a bowl, cooked the shell, and then scooped it back in. It just wasn't as "set" as it was supposed to be and didn't look as pretty. Maybe next year will go better ?
I was also a really big slacker about taking pictures...so I hardly have any.






I really am so Thankful for many things this year. I have such a motivated loving husband, two beautiful healthy girls, loving families and many wonderful friends. I kind of wish that I posted about something I was Thankful for every day... but since I have been such a slacker... maybe next year!

2 comments:

Brooke said...

At least you got some pics....this was our first Thanksgiving cooking a turkey and I forgot to get a picture of it!

Meg said...

This post made me laugh...the pie thing is totally something I would do too and I'm sure the green beans weren't that bad :)